Here to listen, not to tell; we provide confidential service to young people including the under 16's.
You can choose to tell others about visits to the surgery but we won't. The only reason why we might consider passing on confidential information without your permission, would be to protect you or someone else from serious harm. We would always try and discuss this with you first. If you have any worries about confidentiality, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK A MEMBER OF STAFF.
Available services for young people include:
Chlamydia is the most common bacterial sexually transmitted infection. It affects both men and women — but don't worry it can be easily treated with antibiotics. About 1 in 10 sexually active young people tested have chlamydia, yet most people who have it do not have any signs or symptoms and will not know that they've got it.
But a simple test will show if you have it!
Chlamydia tests are simple and do not require embarrassing examination. Tests are usually taken by yourself, not by a nurse or doctor. For men testing simply involves peeing in a pot.
Once found Chlamydia can be easily treated, usually with a single dose of antibiotic tablets (or liquid).
To arrange Chlamydia screening at Netherfield Medical Centre speak to Eddie (Nurse Practitioner), any of the practice nurses or GPs.
General Contraceptive Services
The team of GP's can provide confidential advice and access to a wide range of contraceptives. There are a wide range of options available including pills, patches, injections, implants, coils and condoms. Further information is also available on all aspects of sex, relationships and contraception at:
Common Health Problems
We can of course help with a wide range of common health problems that you may experience.
- Skin problems such as acne or eczema
- Lumps and bumps – e.g. testicles /breast / vagina or skin
- Headache or Migraine
- Stress or 'feeling low / depressed'
- Family or Relationship problems
- Sexuality - straight or gay?
- Pregnancy and emergency contraception.
- School / College worries - bullying / exams
- Lifestyle concerns - drugs, alcohol, smoking or weight
Whatever your worried about –don’t put it off, book to discuss it now with one of our Drs or nurse Practitioner.
Please contact us and ask for further information regarding any of our services. Tel: 0115 9614583
Where else can I go for help?
For teenagers worried about attending their Dr's surgery, there are many other places you can get confidential help and advice:
- Parent or family members - can be surprisingly helpful and are often more aware than you might think. We may encourage you to discuss your problem with your parent(s) but only if you are happy to. Remember we will not pass on information ourselves, even if you are under 16, unless essential to protect you or someone else from harm.
- School nurse - can be contacted via your school
- Victoria Health Clinic, Glasshouse St, nottingham tel 9509151 - provide a range of contraceptive and sexual health services, teenage clinic and counselling.
- Local family planning (contraception) clinic, Park House, Carlton tel 9617616
- Monday Club, St Georges Access Centre, Victoria Rd, Netherfield, Monday 4.00-6.00pm (young people) provide contraceptive, C Card and chlamydia screening services 0115 9404146 or 0115 9404246
- Sexually Transmitted infection (GUM) clinic, City Hospital, Nottingham 0115 9627747
- Base 51 - Centre for young people aged 12 to 25 in Notts, offers advice, information, support, health care, counselling and more. Telephone advice/drop-in/by appointment. 51 Glasshouse St, Nottingham NG1 3LP tel 9525040
- NHS Direct 0845 46 47 (24 hours) advice available
- Nottingham Walk-in Centre 7am -10pm daily for health and social service advice and information, including emergency contraception. It’s near the Ice stadium and next door to BBC East Midlands
Websites/Contacts. Here are a few more websites and numbers that you may find useful.
www.childline.org.uk 0800 1111 (24hrs)
www.brook.org.uk 0800 018 5023
Connexions - freephone 0800 0529977 to find local centres
Sexwise - freephone 0800 282930 - a confidential helpline for teenagers on anything to do with relationships, sex and contraception.
THINK - a texting service providing confidential advice on relationships and sexual health 84465
FRANK 0800 776600 Talk to FRANK about drugs
Domestic Violence 0808 8000340
Lesbian and gay switchboard 0115 934 8484
Rape crisis 0115 9410440