Are you a carer?

A carer is anyone, including children and adults who looks after a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction and cannot cope without their support. The care they give is unpaid.

Our Carers Champion, Sherry is available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. You can contact our carers champion by calling 0115 9403 775 and asking to speak to Sherry.

Please let the practice know if you are a carer so you can be added to our carers register. This register is used for things such as flu season, where we offer all our registered carers a free flu vaccination.

Nottinghamshire Carers Hub

Carers Trust East Midlands provides timely, personalised information and support via the Nottinghamshire Carers Hub to make caring for a loved one easier.  The scheme is funded by Nottinghamshire County Council and the local NHS.  The Carers Hub can offer:

  • Information, advice and guidance
  • Signposting to other organisations
  • Access to Carers support groups
  • Free health and wellbeing membership
  • Access to Carers breaks
  • Free training and caring support
  • Carers Smart’ benefits and discounts
  • Carers grants
  • Peer support

Helpdesk: 0115 824 8824


Click here to visit the website

Carers Federation

The Nottinghamshire County Council funds the Carers Federation to give advice and support to carers across Nottinghamshire. This service

When you contact this service a support worker will identify the support most appropriate to your situation. If you are seeking information, they will try to provide this or point you in the direction of an organisation that is able to provide more specific help – for example when the person you care for has a condition such as Alzheimer’s or has had a stroke.


Telephone: 0115 9629 310


Telephone: 01159 629 310

Action for Young Carers
Action for Young Carers (AYC) Nottingham City achieved through listening to the voices of young carers and their families to ensure that their needs remain at the heart of the service. This approach has helped it to develop significantly in recent years and now plays a crucial role in supporting young carers and their families.


Telephone: 0115 9629351 Text: 07814 678 460


Carers Assessment

If you care for someone you have a right to ask for a carer’s assessment. The assessment will look at the impact that caring has on you and the support that you may need. Caring may have an effect on your health, work or social life, finances, education and your family or personal life. It is important that you know what help is available to help balance your role as a carer and having a life of your own.

Why should I have a carer’s assessment?

A carer’s assessment may recommend things such as:

  • someone to take over caring so you can take a break
  • gym membership and exercise classes to relieve stress
  • help with taxi fares if you don’t drive
  • help with gardening and housework
  • training how to lift safely
  • putting you in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to
  • advice about benefits for carers

A carer’s assessment is free and anyone over 18 can ask for one.

It’s separate from the needs assessment the person you care for might have, but you can ask to have them both done at the same time.

How do I get a carer’s assessment?

To request a carer’s assessment contacting Nottinghamshire County Council:


Online Enquiry Form

Telephone: 0300 500 80 80

Someone else, such as a doctor, social worker, mental health professional or care coordinator, can request a carer’s assessment on your behalf.

Carers Emergency Card

An emergency card for carers identifies you as a carer in the event of an emergency.

The card does not give any personal information, but provides a phone number anyone can call.

Staff answering the phone will take any action you have agreed with us like:

  • contact family/friends to let them know there is an emergency 
  • visit the person you care for and arrange emergency help.

Why do I need an emergency card? 

In the event of an emergency you will have: 

  • emergency cover 24 hours a day
  • peace of mind that in the event of an emergency the person you care for will be looked after.

Who can apply for a card? 

You can apply for an emergency card if you are: 

  • a carer
  • a cared for person living in Nottinghamshire (excluding Nottingham City) and over 18 years-old.

How do I apply for a card?

Apply Online:

Telephone: 0300 500 80 80

Help in a crisis

The Crisis Prevention Scheme provides care at home for the person you care for if you can’t do so due to an unforeseen crisis.  The service is available to adult carers (over 18) who are caring for an adult who lives in Nottinghamshire (excluding Nottingham city residents).

Some examples of crisis situations where the scheme could provide support include:

  • your admission into hospital
  • you need to attend an unplanned medical appointment
  • a family emergency, including if another family member becomes seriously ill
  • the funeral of a close relative or friend
  • a significant risk to your employment on a particular occasion.

Care and support will be provided until alternative arrangements can be made for the person you usually care for or you are able to return to caring.  There is no charge for the service.

How do I access crisis prevention? 

The Crisis Prevention Scheme is available across all districts and is provided by the Home First Response Service provider. To arrange for this service, you will need to contact the Customer Service Centre on:  0300 500 80 80



Care4me is a scheme that provides a range of services with the aim of improving the health and wellbeing of carers and those for whom they care. This scheme is coordinated by Gedling Homes in partnership with Nottingham North and East Clinical Commissioning Group, the Carers Federation and other partners.

The services we offer broadly fall into one of five categories. Health & wellbeing support; social inclusion; practical support; home modifications and access support.

We have information on local health walks and exercise classes in Gedling if you would like to become more active. Or if you are a man aged 60+ you might be interested in the Men in Sheds drop-in sessions to work on your carpentry skills over a cuppa. Perhaps you would like to become more IT literate so you can order shopping or do banking online? If so we have a tutor who provides regular beginners IT classes.

If you or the person you care for has a long term health condition such as stroke, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) or heart problems, there are classes that can help. We also have home exercise booklets, information re falls prevention and can provide manual handling training to help prevent injury.

The Young Person’s Positive Moves programme is available for 8-15 year olds who are inactive and have conditions such as autism or ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). Finally we have a limited budget to adapt your home to meet your needs depending on the outcome of an occupational therapist’s referral.

To enable you to access these services we can provide transport and respite care (we can arrange to have a qualified care provider look after the person you care for). For more information about care4me please contact Karen Archer at Gedling Homes on 0115 9051519 or